My friend here Amy asked me to make her a big purse from her husband's old ACU's. I looked for a tutorial but didn't find one so made one for all of you! Now this is my first tut so go easy on me.
Finished bag for those who are uninterested in all the details.
Tutorial for large ACU purse.
1 Pair ACU pants
2 ACU tops
1. Seam rip the lower pockets from pants legs to use on the inside. Cut out back panel below the remaining pockets. Cut in half at the back seam and remove that blasted thick seam.
2. Sew the two pants parts back together. This will help this portion lay flatter and enable you to cut it straighter.
3. Cut out the front of one of the ACU tops. Cut out zipper on each side.
4. Sew the two top parts back together lining up the velcro strips across from one another.
5. Using the two sewn together bits as a pattern cut same size pieces from the back of each top for the inside lining.
6. From the pants and back of tops cut strips for gussets and straps.
7. Using the pockets you ripped out in step one sew on each lining piece. I left one pocket open and big and the other I sewed down the gussets to make three small pockets for pens, cell phone, or what have you.
8. Using the width of your strips as a guide turn up the bottom of one of the lining pieces. Pin a strip right sides together on each end of this turned up bit.
9. Sew the strips up the side of the liner piece tucking in a bit at the bottom. Sorry no better way to describe it as I had a difficult time myself at that point. Sew the second liner piece to the gussets you've now made on the first right sides together. Should look like this which will be the inside of your purse.
10. At this point your child/ren will probably come and give you the evils for being hidden away so long. So run and play a bit and come back later to finish up. :)
11. Repeat steps 8 and 9 for the outside of the bag. Turn up bottom, sew on strips, sew together.
12. For the straps sew together two strips twice then sew right sides together to form two long tubes. Turn out and adjust length to your preference. I made the straps quite long on this bag as it is a big bag and I like long straps.
13. Pin one strap at the top of each side of the outside of the bag making sure it isn't twisted. Turn the inside liner to the wrong side and put the outside into it so that right sides are together. Pin all along the top leaving a space between the two straps for turning. Sew around back sewing on the straps for added strength. Turn right side out and push liner to the inside. Top stitch around tucking in the bit you left open for turning.
14. You can have special strips made for the velcro bits at your local Army clothing shop. Enjoy your bag!